The majority of people are not impacted by direct exposure to low concentrations of mold, unless they are exposed to a great deal of mold. Regrettably, we are not sure exactly what “a great deal of mold” indicates. In addition we have no idea if “a lot” of direct exposure to mold for “a short time” is even worse than “not a lot” direct exposure for a longer time. Everyone is different; exactly what totals up to a “great deal of direct exposure” for some individuals is “not a lot” for others. Keep in mind, mold is everywhere; we are all exposed to mold every day. Direct exposure to mold can trigger and annoy allergies in vulnerable individuals, however we have no idea just how much direct exposure is required to begin the development of allergy.
Direct exposure to mold can trigger an asthma attack or make your persistent asthma get even worse if you have asthma. At this point we do not understand if direct exposure to mold, particularly early in life, can cause the development of asthma. Although direct exposure to “enough” mold can trigger allergies to mold in vulnerable individuals, precisely identifying the allergy can be tough. Just a few molds appear to be able to often trigger an infection in healthy individuals; luckily these molds do not generally grow in structures. Nevertheless, individuals with reduced body immune systems are a lot more prone to fungal (mold) infections and numerous of these fungi do grow in wet structures. People with specific kinds of cancer and those with organ (heart, kidney) transplants on particular medicines are far more prone to fungal infections. Molds in some cases make chemicals called mycotoxins. We believe that molds make these mycotoxins to reduce the development of other molds and germs, a competitors deterent. Since it can eliminate particular germs, penicillin is a mycotoxin that we make use of. Regrettably a few of these mycotoxins make individuals ill. Mycotoxins can trigger health problem when they are breathed in, soaked up through skin or consumed (ingested). Currently we do not understand all that much about the health impacts of the majority of mycotoxins on human beings. The majority of exactly what we understand about mycotoxins originates from direct exposure of stock to moldy grain or hay. We do not have any tests that can identify whether mycotoxins are the reason for somebody’s disease. The understanding mold and its impacts on people is an ever altering science being upgraded on practically an everyday basis.